WIP….still hand quilting and … and…and…
Posted by pegsplace on February 12, 2013
So! Four flowers done = 4 blocks almost done. I have the four small hearts and two connecting ovals and then on to the next block.
I am so liking handquilting. It is satisfying. I am finding what I like best and I am figuring out what suits me.
Here are my favourite handquilting tools so far:
- The marking pencil: I have been trying everything I have in my toolbox and this is what I am most satisfied with. This one is blue and it already rubs off quite easily. I have a white one too but the blue one is perfect. I can see where I am stitching now. It is called “Washout R680 Cloth Marker Blue. I think that I picked it up at Lens Mills so many years ago.
- John James #5 (I think). It is so sturdy and the shortest of the bunch. I have been testing quite a few!
- Thimble: Learning to love it….getting there.
- Waterproof medical tape for the other fingers, protection. But I sure am getting calloused!
- Needle puller-througher …Using it often to pull the 4 to 5 stitches I can get onto the needle by “rocking and rolling”
- My magnifier lenses that clip onto my glasses.
- Quilting Hoop. I tried the white plastic ones but I was breaking every nail PRYING them open. I like this one!
I am officially addicted to hand quilting and I think that one day I will be good at this…just not today .
When I take a break from the hand quilting, I have been working on my redwork….finally figured out that I like the back stitch for outling:
And for company I have Pye. I set him up in my basket of quilt tops ready to be quilted because I took the rocking chair to quilt:
So what are your favourite hand quilting tools?
I am linking up with The Needle and Thread Network. I can’t wait to see what everyone is up to! I didn’t get to visit everyone last week but will try my best this week!